THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Friday 23 April 2010

Two things.

Guitar and politics.

Today I have been practising the guitar again. My fingers are actually a little tender today, thought not quite bleeding! I went to the music shop this morning, but it's selection of books was, to be perfectly honest, pants. There was nothing at all that appealed to me. And nothing that was at the right level for me. I'm not quite a beginner now, but I'm by no means an intermediate. So I came home and had a look online, but there was so much choice that I had no idea which book to choose - it's not so easy online either, because you can't see how it's all presented inside. It would perhaps help if I knew what kind of music I'd like to play, but I don't really - I just know that I'd eventually like to be able to play Metallica's Nothing Else Matters! He he - that won't be for a very long time, I should imagine :) So I'm still stuck with the book that I've been using for the past few weeks - it's getting a bit boring now though, practising the same chords over and over.
I did find a very good website that has free Tab on it. UltimateGuitar.com. It's got a good forum on it, where there's lots of advice from other beginners and more experienced guitarists. It looks very good indeed. Noomski uses it too :) I did take a little peek at Nothing Else Matters - ROCK HARD!!! I'll take a look again in about ten years, ha.
But I need something more structured, so that I can see some progression in my playing, and so that I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I could do with lessons really, but they're very expensive, and I don't think there's any way I could afford them. So I'll have to just get along as best I can without. It's still fun though - I love it. I've only been playing since January, and already feel like I know quite a lot. I can play loads of chords now :) And when I pick the guitar up it all feels very familiar too, like it fits in my hands automatically and it's supposed to be there. Mmm, nice.

The other thing I was thinking about this evening was politics. This election's hotted up a bit since the live 'debate' last Thursday, eh? Mmmm, very exciting. I'm going to watch as much I can on the 6th, with Jeremy Vine and the Swingometre. For the first time I have no idea who to vote for in the Parliamentary elections. In the Council elections I vote Green if there is a candidate - usually there isn't though, so I just pick one that's not Conservative ;) But this time - I just don't know. Don't think I like David Cameron - but I don't know why I don't like him. Quite like Gordon Brown - but think he's a rubbish politician/PM. Do like Nick Clegg - might vote LibDem - but not at all certain about that. Oh, I'm not going to be voting based on which leader I like the most, don't worry! No, I do pay attention to the policies; I couldn't really tell you what any of them are, of course, but I kind of let all the random words and soundbites float around in my head and try to get a general flavour of what the party's about. I mean, really, is there anything more that we can do, since when they actually get into power and get their hands on the books, they soon find out that they can't deliver on most of their promises anyway, right?
But then I was thinking that perhaps everything in politics is going to change for the better from now on anyway, because ALL politicians know that they've been bad and that we know they've been bad and that we're fed up of them being bad.
Well, anyway, just less than two weeks left. I don't know who I'm voting for. I think I will be walking into the polling station still undecided. I don't want that to happen, I want to have decided before I go to vote, so that I don't just stick a random cross down at the candidate with the nicest name! I always feel like a bit of a numpty when it comes to politics - I wish I knew more, so that I could make a more informed choice. But where are the canvassers? Not on my street. Can't ask them what they're all about if they're not knocking. I don't want leaflets through my door - waste of money. I want someone to come round and tell me things.

:) That's about as deep as it goes with me and politics - I can think about it in lots of detail and depth, but I can't write about it, for fear of getting things wrong and sounding like a right fool.

It's my Day Off tomorrow. Oooooooooh, I'm so looking forward to it. The day always passes much to quickly, but that's why I stay out late :) I used to come home before tea, but didn't feel like I'd really had a day off because I had to come back and help with the kids again. So now I take myself off to a restaurant for my tea, and then go to the pictures in the evening as well - a proper, full day off. It's completely heavenly. I think I'm staying in town tomorrow. I was thinking about going to Liverpool for one of my days off, but I don't really feel like it at the moment - it would be nice to do the galleries, but I don't feel like I deserve that much of a treat yet, because I've not done any writing for ages. So it'll be writing all day tomorrow, in peace :) Delicious. If I get a few chapters drafted this month then maybe I'll go to Liverpool on the train next month.

Well, I'm going to go to sleep soon. I want to get up nice and early, to make sure that I get as many child-free hours as possible!

Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment