THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Thursday 17 June 2010

Bike It to School

What a stonking good idea, Bike It to School Day. I can't believe I'm such a numpty that I never thought, with my own brain, to cycle to school with the boys before this. And isn't it astonishing what the promise of free food will do to people?? I've never seen so many bikes at school; there were so many that they had to be locked up in the main playground, on both sides! I felt quite emotional when we got there, all these children and parents looking very pleased with themselves - and well so! It was wonderful. There were people waiting at the gate to ask if our bikes needed fixing (for free), and pupils directing us to the breakfast table that had been set up in the playground, where we could help ourselves to brioche, croissants, apples, bananas and juice (for free).

I was only able to ride myself because James is cycling properly. That's a very lucky thing, because he's only 4. He's done very well to find so much confidence so young. He just seemed to know that he was going to be able to cycle before he'd even been on the bike he's using now. He never bothered with stabilisers! Tremendous. I'm that proud :)
Matthew has quite a way to go before he can cycle himself. He has a little 12"wheeled bike, that was James's, and he can pedal it ... but only backwards. Hmm. I think he'll be on the back of my bike for quite some time. We've had the child seat for the back of my bike for years. I only used it about twice with Thomas, and I thought that I didn't like it because it was heavy. Shows how relative everything is, because I barely noticed it was there today - light as anything, and Matthew is older and heavier than Thomas was when he sat in it a few years ago. I think the last few years of chucking three children about has given me some splendid muscles. I could no doubt do quite well in World's Strongest Man (goodness knows I could pass for a fella right now!).

So, we're thinking that we might like to cycle every day now. Yes, I know, shocking! That amount of effort and exercise in a week could very nearly kill me if I'm not careful. So I'll have to make sure I eat some chocolate every day. And perhaps some cake as well. And possibly the odd packet of crisps.
Tomorrow me and Thomas are going to try an experiment, and see if we have enough time to cycle from nursery (which doesn't open until 8.30am) to school by five to nine. If we're late then I think school will have a bit of a cheek in telling Thomas off for being late for such an important reason!

Eeh, good stuff. It felt ever so nice to be cycling with Thomas and James this morning. They do cycle themselves whenever I'm organised enough to walk to school. But they're usually way off ahead of me and I have to run with the pram to keep up. Today I was right alongside them, and we were able to chat and have a laugh all the way. It's not a lot, but every little bit of time we can spend together and enjoy a few smiles and laughs is precious, eh? I keep discovering these extra few minutes in my days, and I can't be sure, but I think I've managed to somehow make my days into 26-hour ones, give or take a few minutes. I'm not sure how that's happened.

Healthy stuff.

Time for a cup of tea and biscuit.

Mmm, cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment