THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Sunday 1 August 2010

It's going well so far, but I've lost my words again!

Yep, we've been having a lovely time since school finished. Not doing anything much that's interesting enough to blog about every day really, just playing and relaxing. Not even taking any photos! I know, not like me. But sometimes it's nice to just get on and enjoy your time, rather than missing it in frantic attempts to make a record of everything all the time.

I have lost my words though. I'm well out of practice with any kind of writing. I've been working on a letter to my goodest pal Jamie, and I've not been able to get it finished because I've lost the will to do anything except flob on the couch in the evenings. Well, it's alright to do that for a while, to recharge sort of thing, but I really can't do nothing for the whole holidays.

Flob

Flob can indicate:


It's high time I got on with rediscovering my enthusiasm for the written word. I can't remember how to write a thing, and it's really only been a fortnight since I last worked on my book, but it's all gone! I mean, it's still there, obviously, on paper and in files on my computer. But I can't remember what it is that I was doing with the story. It's leaked out of my brain. I'm going to have to try to find it again, otherwise I'm never going to get the bloody thing finished. I left off on a bit of a lull in the story, which is never a good thing to do, because when you go back to it you remember that the bit you were working on was a load of rubbish and it's difficult to pick it up again. But I must crack on - I really want to get it finished very soon. So I'm going to finish off reading a certain (highly demotivating but deliciously vampirey) book that I'm reading, and stop faffing about. And I need to finish it because I have other things waiting in the back of my head that are crying out to be worked on; it took me ages to find my first idea, and I always thought that I'd struggle to think of things to write about, but this has proved not to be the case at all.

It'll be tricky to find time to work over the next few weeks, we have a busy three months really. We go on holiday at the end of this week, and when we come back we have some birthdays, and then Noomski's stag weekend, and then school starts again and James will be getting used to that. Then we have Barbados, and Noomski and Jessica's wedding. I would like to be near the end of the first draft with my book, but I don't know if I can do it. But life doesn't ever stop for books to be written does it?! No, it certainly doesn't. Life happens all the time, every year, so I can't keep making the excuse of being busy, because I'll never get it done.

Procrastination

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Procrastination refers to the counterproductive deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite such behavior as a mechanism for coping with the anxietyassociated with starting or completing any task or decision.[1] Schraw, Wadkins, and Olafson have proposed three criteria for a behavior to be classified as procrastination: it must be counterproductive, needless, and delaying.[2]

Procrastination may result in stress, a sense of guilt and crisis, severe loss of personal productivity, as well as social disapproval for not meeting responsibilities or commitments. These feelings combined may promote further procrastination. While it is regarded as normal for people to procrastinate to some degree, it becomes a problem when it impedes normal functioning. Chronic procrastination may be a sign of an underlying psychological disorder.


This is quite funny, that procrastination can be put down to stress and anxiety and all that, when in my case (and I would suspect that it applies to lots of people) it's definitely all about laziness. LAMF - that's what I am. I'm not going to translate that little acronym, because it's got swearing in it, but a LAMF is what I am!

Right-o. Got to go. Early night needed, in preparation for another week of fun and frolics :)
Night.

3 comments:

  1. Blogger is larking about with my fonts today. Sorry this post is such a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I <3 you Linda & think your just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Letter coming soon Jamie. Would like to get back into the swing of writing letters more regularly - I've been missing you, lovey, and facebook just isn't the same!

    ReplyDelete