THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Day 16.

Aha, over half way, you'll be glad to know.  Me blogging every single day is not very entertaining for you is it?  No.  But I said I'd do it, so I have to.

Me old mate Emily, what I went to university with quite a few years ago, has just posted on her blog (The Tangled Yarn) about a competition involving the writing of 50,000 words in the month of November.  Naughty Emily, to post such a post, when I already am up to my eyeballs in self-inflicted deadlines.  Now, I love a deadline as much as the next person, as I've said before.  But an extra... what was it Emily, 1667 words a day? ... is just a deadline too many for me, I think.  Unless I stayed up all night, every night possibly.  I would very happily do that, if my body didn't need sleep, but unfortunately it does.  Damn the cursed frailties of the human body - there's definitely a design fault there.  Wonder if we could fix it somehow.  The brain doesn't turn off when it's asleep anyway, so it's a strange thing that we do need to sleep, to lose consciousness for a while.

Sorry, I've drifted off topic again.  What was I saying?  Oh yes, that competition.  Well, I would dearly love to have a go at it, but I think I will have to try to remember to do it next year.  I can't enter everything now, can I?  No.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm easily distracted when I write, and I said that I wanted to learn to focus on one piece at a time.  I should start that today.  Yes.  I did quite well this morning, with my three hours.  I only worked on one piece - a nice hub that I think has turned out better than I planned it to.  I hoped that I would be able to write two or three hubs in that time, but this one has turned out to be quite a long one.  I haven't typed it up yet, but I'm a bit nervous about any comments it might get, as it's a serious piece (my first one on Hubpages I think).  It's a review of three books that I read recently, with a little comparing and contrasting.  It probably reads like a Year 7 English essay, but I've not practised book reviews for years.  I'd like to do more, and the only way to improve is to practise, so hopefully we'll see some development in my writing if I do more of these.  Book reviews are a little scary to write, because you never know if you've misunderstood the premise of the book completely, or if you're going to say anything that will reveal how stupid and narrowly-read you are.  But I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion on a book, if they've taken the time to read it.  I am profoundly aware that I'm not the best of readers, that I do often miss the obvious, and that I usually have very different opinions from everyone else.  I quite often detest characters I'm supposed to like, and love the ones I'm expected to hate.  I usually don't see the denouement coming, even when the signs are blatant to everyone else.  But hey, the hub is just a writing exercise, and I'm getting used to baring my soul on the internet and allowing everyone to see inside my head.  As long as I don't offend anyone I'm not bothered if people think I'm naive and a bit stupid :)  We all knew that already anyway.


Here's a Barbados photo for you:

And maybe one or two more:








There are many more.  Maybe I'll show you a few next time, if I remember.  Just be thankful that I'm not subjecting you to a full slide show of the whole lot.  

Rambling over.  Bye for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment