THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Sunday 6 March 2011

Wonders of the Universe

I have just finished watching Wonders of the Universe, presented by the inimitable Professor Brian Cox. As per usual, as per my viewing of Wonders of the Solar System, my mind has been blown, and I have done some good crying at the beauty and amazingness of everything.  Staggering stuff, and humbling indeed.  The bit that made me blub in the end was when he showed us the photo taken from Voyager 1, in 1990, of our planet from billions of kilometres out in space.  Ohhhhh, we are so tiny, and so alone.  The first photo here shows Earth, circled.  That's us, in 1990, shot through by a sunbeam.  Can you see yourself?  I think I can see our house, and I can tell its ours because our car's parked on the drive.



These others are just stunning pictures taken by Hubble.  Enjoy :)







Nothing like some sense from Prof Brian to give life some perspective and meaning.  I always feel uplifted by the things he says.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. That first photo is really such a puzzle. It's so hard to get my head around it, but thank you for reminding me of the bigger picture again.

    Feel a bit dizzy now.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonkers, innit?! My mind is still spinning today.

    Hope the smallholding's still going beautifully, and that Megan is looking forward to Spring :)

    Lx.

    ReplyDelete